Follow up is extremely important in the hiring process, and a well-done thank you letter can make the difference in getting the job. Employers, however, are of different minds on whether a thank you letter will help a candidate through the process. In some cases, the letter has no significance one way or the other. The majority view, however, is that thank you notes are important. Like every document you send to a potential employer, it should be treated as meticulously as your resume or writing sample. Following up to thank the hiring manager for his or her time is not only polite; it also demonstrates a sincere interest in both the position and the company.
If there is no sense of urgency, you may still want to send a quick email thank you, along with a traditional letter or note. You’ll be reiterating your interest in the position sooner rather than later.
A Few Guidelines to Follow:
- As soon as possible after the interview or company visit, a letter should be sent to express your appreciation for the time the interviewer spent with you.
- Use this as an occasion to add information, not covered in the interview, that you feel the employer needs to know about you and/or your qualifications for the position.
- Use this as an occasion to clarify any information you feel was not accurately shared during the interview.
- Use this as an occasion to supply additional information that was requested by the employer during the interview.
- This letter is also the perfect opportunity to discuss anything of importance that your interviewer neglected to ask or that you neglected to answer as thoroughly, or as well, as you would have liked.
- Keep in mind though, that the thank you note should be brief and to the point. A couple of brief paragraphs are sufficient.
Based on these tips, here’s an easy template you can follow for a thank you letter after the interview:
Good afternoon, Mr./Ms. [Last Name]:
Thank you for taking the time to speak with me yesterday about the [Job Title] position with [Company Name]. It was a pleasure meeting with you, and I truly enjoyed learning more about the role and your company. After our discussion, I am confident that my skills and experiences are a great match for this opportunity and that I can quickly become a valuable member of the [Company Name] team.
I am very enthusiastic about the possibility of a career with your company and would greatly appreciate a follow-up as you move forward with the hiring process. If you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me at [Email Address] or by phone at [Phone Number]. Thanks again, and I hope to hear from you in the near future.